The Orchard Park Senior Center offers a wide variety of programs and activities of individual interest. Stay healthy through our many different exercise programs, brush up on your dance steps, or join our knitting group. Enjoy a lively hand of cards, play pocket pool, dominoes or bocce, listen to interesting and educational speakers take fun-filled day trips around Western New York or simply enjoy a quiet conversation with a friend or two. In addition to the weekly classes and activities, numerous special events are held at the Center throughout the year. All this and more is offered at the Orchard Park Senior Center! Read through the listings of available activities below and call the Center at 716.662.6452 if you’d like more information. And be sure to read the current edition of the “S.C.O.O.P.” to see what’s happening each month!
Seniors over the age of 55 may participate in many activities offered at the Senior Center, including the following:
- Pocket Pool – every week day from 8:30-4:00pm
- Mind Aerobics – every Monday 1:00pm
- Bingo – every Tuesday 1:00pm
- Movies – Current releases every Wednesday 1:00pm
- Current Event Discussion – 2nd Friday of each month at 1:00pm
- Bridge – every Monday 1:00pm
- Tap Dancing – Beginners and Intermediate
- Tai Chi – Beginners and Advanced
- Pinochle Fridays 1pm
- Crafts classes in sewing, painting on wood, embossing greeting cards, watercolor and acrylic paint classes are just some of the classes offered throughout the year.
- Knitters and crocheters meet every Thursday at 1:00pm to create scarves, hats and mittens for the needy of the area.
- Language Instruction in Spanish and Italian are scheduled throughout the year.
- Bridge classes for the beginner and intermediate players are held throughout the year.
- Digital Camera
- EBAY- Buying and selling
- Understanding Your Keyboard
- Organizing File Folders
- Movie Maker
Beginner Line Dancing Class
The Senior Center offers a beginner line dancing class every Wednesday at 10:15am. Those who have always wanted to learn how to line dance but have not had the time, place or the opportunity to do so, may join the fund every Wednesday morning. Lois Steck is the instructor. Cost for the class is a pay as you go. Each Class is $1.50.
Blood Pressure Screening
Free blood pressure screening every Monday from 1-3pm
55 Alive defensive driving classes the last Thursday and Friday of every month
Duplicate Bridge Tournament
The Center holds a Duplicate Bridge Tournament on the first Monday of every month.
Knitting & Crocheting
Want to spend an afternoon amongst friends while knitting or crocheting for a worthy project? Why not join our friendly goup, every Thursday at 1:00pm as they knit or crochet lap robes, mittens and hats. Seniors who wish to join the ladies for friendly “chit chat” while creating a project are welcome to join this group.
Lions Club Loan Closet
Delicious hot lunches are served promptly at noon Monday through Friday. The Program is open to Erie County seniors over the age of 60 and their spouses. A contribution of $2.50 is suggested. Reservation for a particular week are made by calling Jean Bayuse at 662-8378 by 10:00am the preceding Thursday.
Pinochle anyone? If you enjoy a friendly game of pinochle, with a friendly goup of seniors, then join us every Tuesday and Friday afternoon at 1:00PM. Everyone is welcome.
Tax preparation assistance from February through April 15 every year.
Telephone Assurance Program
Under the sponsorship of the Orchard Park Senior Center T.A.P. serves seniors throughout Erie County. Seniors, sixty-plus (60+) and living alone, who need a friendly call to check on their well-being, may avail themselves of this free service. T.A.P. is funded by Erie County Dept. of Senior Services and New York State Office of the Aging, United Way and Corrdinated Care. For further information on becoming a T.A.P. Member or a T.A.P. Volunteer, contact your local T.A.P.Corrdinator, Jean Sherman at 662-6452 or the T.A.P. office at 858-2386
Transportation - Rural Van Service
Rural Transit Service (RTS) is a non-profit transportation service. They provide transportation to senior citizens, low/moderate income individuals and disabled clients. Eligible residents are transported to dialysis clinics, medical offices, physical therapy, pharmacies, colleges, work places, senior centers, nutrition sites, adult day cares, grocery stores, banks, salons/barbers, etc., with medical trips taking priority.
- The Rural Transit vans run between 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays.
- Dispatch must be called 48 hours in advance and up to two weeks in advance for appointments. Individuals may schedule up to two rides per week.
- On days your local school is closed due to the weather, the Rural Transit van is closed.
- Rural Transit riders are not required to contribute for services provided, although donations are accepted and encouraged.
- Suggested Donation: $3/trip or more for longer destination trips
VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED!
Rural Transit Service’s is volunteer driven! Many residents volunteer to drive, dispatch or ride as a driver’s aides.
For more information on ridership or to volunteer please call:
In addition to the Senior Center activities and programs, the following groups offer social events, escorted trips locally in the U.S and the world!
Meet every 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month at 1:30 pm at St. Bernadette’s Church 5930 South Abbott Rd, Orchard Park.
President, Arlene Schlierf can be reached at 716.649.5845.
For trip information, contact Fran Ritz at 716.648.7526
Meet every 2nd and 4th Thursday at the American Legion Post, North Buffalo Rd. Orchard Park.
President, Patricia L Davies can be reached at 716.675.9084.
Richard Jones is the travel consultant and can be reached at 716.827.7074.
Orchard Park Seniors
Meet every 1st and 3rd Wednesday at the American Legion Post, North Buffalo Rd, Orchard Park.
Jim Twist, President can be reached at 716.674.8661.
For travel contact Ruth Duffy at 716.649.7026.
Sacred Heart Seniors
Meet every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of the month in the lower hall at Our Lady of Sacred Heart Church on Abbott Road.
President, Esther Marcin Cullis can be reached at 716.649.6850
St. John Lutheran Seniors
Meet the first Tuesday of the month at 1:00 pm at St. John’s Lutheran Church, Highland Avenue Orchard Park.
For information call Alan Groth at 716.662.2140.
St. John Vianney Seniors
Meet every 2nd and 4th Tuesday at 12:45 pm in St. John Vianney Parish Center on Southwestern Boulevard.
President, Dorothy Dzikowski can be reached at 716.674.1645.
For tour information contact Cindy Crawley 716.675.1104.